Thursday, December 25, 2008



Let me just say - I love Christmas! It's not about presents, although
those are nice. It's really about family for me, and not just another day together - we really like
each other!
Christmas eve traditionally has been to have all of Clem's siblings, their children, and their children here. We draw names according to age (it gets harder every year because we are still adding). I think we are up to 87 people. My basement family room gets more crowded every year, and I don't care. I know it sounds crazy, but it is the only time we get to see some of the kids, and I actually enjoy having them. Unlike Thanksgiving, where people come and go, on Christmas eve we have at least hours of family togetherness. Grandpa always gave a short talk on the true meaning of Christmas, and then we started with gifts from youngest to oldest.
This year, since Earl passed away, was a little different. Grandma spoke about Christmas not being about the gifts, and a year they had a very poor Christmas but it was still a good Christmas. Anyway, it was so nice to have everyone here, even if they trickle up the stairs for places to sit. I kept complaining that my camera (that goes with me everywhere by the way), wouldn't take pictures fast enough to get the great faces and poses the little ones gave. Also, people were moving about and frequently got in the way of the picture as the camera finally took it.
Well, that problem has been taken care of. Christmas morning I was given a new SLR digital camera! Hopefully by next Christmas I will know how to use it! It came with 2 DVD's to explain, 2 books, and a "quick guide" that makes absolutely no sense to me. Clem doesn't understand it either, so we are in trouble. I'll have to get my nephew - a professional photographer, to teach us!

I'm including a few pictures from Christmas Eve and Christmas Morning. Enjoy - and I hope every one had a very merry Christmas!

4 comments:

angeliclenore said...

We always have such a great time! Our vote is to keep the tradition!! We look forward to it each year!! Thank for having us and for putting up with all our "crazy"! Oh and for the sushi YUM....

Cyndi Barker said...

I was trying to get a picture of Wyatt with his remote because of the cute "impish" look on his face, but people kept stoping him from playing it. Cute video. He is adorable!
Oh, YAY camera! Congratulation!

Gennaveeve said...

We love Christmas Eve at your house! We wouldn't mind doing away with the presents and just hanging out as a family! Yeah for new cameras! What kind did you get?

Anonymous said...

We love Christmas too...I'm all for keeping the party, because believe it or not I like our crazy family....BUT I would vote to change it to a night other than Christmas Eve. I think saying something like the Sunday before Christmas Eve every year--that way everyone still knows what day to plan for, but it won't interrupt people's Christmas Eve.